Our mission at Avenue des Chocolats is to exercise our creative and minimalist senses, using chocolate as canvas, by hand-crafting flavorful, unique and exquisite European-style chocolate bonbons. We make our bonbons with the sophisticated palates of chocolate connoisseurs in mind.
OUR THREE FOUNDING "F"S:
In our small artisan chocolate business we craft our bonbons around our three founding "F"s:
- Flavor: We believe that food is first and foremost about sublime flavor and mouth-feel and these can best be achieved with quality ingredients and traditional artisan hand-crafting methods. We believe that each quality ingredient represents a whole world of flavors waiting to be explored. Our bonbons are typically flavored with one or two quality ingredients only, and it is our aim to bring out the best of the complexity they have to offer.
- Fresh: Just like freshly-baked artisan bread, our preservative-free bonbons are best savored fresh - the short shelf-life is the price to pay for intact quality. We therefore craft our chocolates in small batches, often in limited editions, so that we can devote our uttermost attention to details and care to each individual bonbon.
- Fancy: We believe that the great flavor and freshness our bonbons encapsulate deserve nothing less than an exquisite presentation. Our vision of beauty is that of Oscar Wilde:
"Beauty is simplicity."
Below are a few concepts that we have made part of our philosophy here at Avenue des Chocolats :
- Real, Fresh Ingredients: We hand-craft our bonbons from scratch using the real thing be it Grand Marnier cognac liqueur, fresh cream or freshly ground coffee beans - no additives, no preservatives, no coloring, no artificial extracts and (a big) NO high fructose corn syrup. We don't even work with sugar but rely on the resident sugar already present in the chocolate itself for sweetness.
- Minimum Processing: We choose to only make chocolate bonbons with ganache centers because, to put it in the words of Chef Peter Greweling with The Culinary Institute of America:
"Ganache is the quintessential artisan confectionery center: it contains only a few ingredients, requires minimal processing, and can be flavored in a great number of ways."
We are rigorously French in our bonbon production technique and artistically playful in bonbon flavor creation.
- Seasonal and Local: We aim to respect nature and are inspired by the seasons in our choice of ingredients and flavors. Whenever possible we source our ingredients locally or nationally. As for the star ingredient, our signature bonbons are crafted with fine chocolate made in the US in the French artisan tradition. Moreover, we ourselves are local, since our bonbons are only available within the Raleigh, NC area.
- Transparency: We align ourselves with the fine chocolate industry standards as defined by the Fine Chocolate Industry Association, in particular its code of ethics regarding transparent labeling and marketing practices. This means that we respect our customers and their intelligence by being open about the ingredients and processing of our products. We keep our labels, ingredient- and marketing messages accurate and don’t make any claims that we cannot support.
- Slow Movement: We want our business to be aligned with the slow-food movement and its idea that we can live life fully at a slower pace. American artist Georgia O'Keeffe once said:
"When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for a moment. I want to give that world to someone else. Most people in the city rush around, so they have no time to look at a flower. I want them to see it whether they want to or not."
At Avenue des Chocolats we want to achieve a similar experience: as our clients engage in the sensual journey of tasting our bonbons - closing their eyes, taking a bite, and just focusing on the chocolate - we aim to give them a full immersion in the gastronomic experience, while time itself stands still.